Friday, December 19, 2008

University of Dayton- Emerging Leader Program - Coaching for Performance

My December session was on Coaching for Performance and was kind of a mix between a self-review and a "how to" workshop. Interesting review of personal behavior using the DiSC DImensions of Behavior approach by Inscape Publishing, Inc. While the review of this personal behavior didn't reveal any surprises about myself, it certainly helped me to take a look at how that style / behavior may be viewed by others. It also helped me to recognize different behavior by others and how I might translate my message to get through to them.

I came out as a D or Developer Pattern = goal oriented, gets bored , strong willed individualist continually seeking new horizons. Opportunities for advancement and challenge are important to them. Sometimes seen as less than empathetic by others.

No surprise there...

The other half of the session was on providing performance feedback, understanding how different cohorts desire, receive and process this and things to avoid. As in "Hi Bill, you are doing a great job BUT..."

I used it right away to provide feedback to my team and am beginning year end reviews. Very helpful. I caught myself wanting to use the "but" during them and thankfully was able to avoid it!

A very timely session!

No comments: