Friday, February 8, 2008

Is the world flat?

I'm trying to get back into the posting routine but things keep tearning me away. I've been traveling a great deal for work and working my way through some good books and podcasts while at my second home ( that would be in airports!).

These days I'm reading Thomas L. Friedman's book "The World Is Flat". It is pretty good and since I work for a global chemical company, I can really relate to many of the trends. Since my market segment focuses on the prototype and design fields, I see the power that technology has given to people in this decentralized world we live in.

In fact, I work in virtual teams with people I've never actually met ( or met only once or twice perhaps). That is going to be the "Norm" as far as I can see for the future. In fact, my MBA classmates all connect virtually as well.

I think technology as a "flattener" is completely underrated by most companies. Perhaps there is a lesson in that for all of us?

No comments: