Thursday, March 15, 2007

Making A List And Checking It Twice

No this isn't a Christmas time reference, it is an intro into my career list idea. Each year ( ideally every 6 months or more often if you wish) I take all the things I do at work and list them down. I start with the things I like at the top and the things I don't at the bottom. I just let things go and brainstorm.

Then I rearrange the list so that there is a break in the items where I determine things "change" for the negative and draw a line. Then I try to incorporate more of the things I do like and work to divest myself of the things I don't like.

An example:

LIKE
  1. Strategic planning and implementation
  2. Customer related work
  3. Career enrichment assignments
  4. MBA Coursework
  5. International teamwork projects

DON'T LIKE
  1. Day to day grind of sales travel
  2. Too broad a focus on daily activities
  3. Lack of career advancement potential at current position


So for the next period of time ( for me the next 6-9 months) I will create action plans to do more of what I like and less of what I don't. This helps me to prepare all my career and performance program items at work.

Plus as a bonus, it helps my personal development as well!

No comments: