Thursday, March 29, 2007

Work/Life Balance?

Is work always work?

Recently I was crashing to complete a project in a burst of activity and the hours just slipped on by. This is unusual for me as I typically have things very scheduled to fit everything in ( MBA coursework, work, travel, family stuff). It was an interesting assignment ( largely of my own making) and I was trying a creative approach to a common business problem ( a marketing plan). I know the balance was tipping the other way for a little while and I didn't seem to mind because it was such a great project to work on ( for me). My virtual team is small but dedicated and each has a special skill set that seems to compliment the others. We don't have much budget but everyone is pretty resourceful and able to use our limited resources well.

So the work just didn't feel like work. It was fun and challenging. Don't get me wrong, this is real work with real financial consequences if it fails. Personally I've really rediscovered my interests since starting my MBA.

So the work is there for the "working" but seems not to be so much drudgery like some older tasks I don't do anymore.


Is this really a work/life balance issue at all or should I just be glad to have the motivation and excitement over the project? Lately the ideas just seem to spill out - nice feeling to have.

No comments: