Monday, April 2, 2007

Career Growth or Waste of Time?

I was discussing some concepts I'd learned ( and was attempting to apply) from my MBA course recently. A co-worker said "all that stuff is just a waste of time" So, is he right?

I don't think so. Even if my company doesn't allow me to apply it formally ( perhaps in the form of a promotion or expanded role) or reward me for it ( with a raise), I am glad I embarked upon this journey.

I try and apply the principles as often as I can and it really works. The MBA is no sure-fire ticket to the corner office ( especially because mine is not from Wharton). I've learned a great deal and think it can apply in almost every part of my current job.

MBA coursework focuses on tools and training to be a more effective leader and businesperson. A top-line school may offer more career placement or alumni networking or name cachet but many of those programs are limited to full-time school.


If you want to continue working full-time and your company won't support the Executive MBA option and you travel - well then your choices become more limited. Two decades ago you wouldn't have any choices at all.

Like anything in life, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

No comments: