Monday, January 8, 2007

Dispensing some Indispensable Stuff

I enjoy reading and learning about the topic of leadership and motivation and how it applies in the business world. Too often there are too many "managers" and not enough "leaders". I'm reading a good book these days called "Becoming an Indispensable Employee in a Disposable World" by Neal Whitten. It is quite good and is written in a workshop type format. A really good quote in the book attributed to someone named George Crane ( I have no idea who he is) says"

"There is no future in any job. The future lies in the man who holds the job."

I like this quote for the forward facing nature of it. This takes a possibly negative idea ( that of no job security) and spins it into a positive solution for the future. I've read so many business books that preach the mantra of "lifetime learning" as a way to always stay fresh.

I'm a believer. Beginning my MBA was easily the most positive thing ( and one of the hardest) I've done in the last several years. It really provided me the motivation and ability to throw off the blinders and be open to new ideas and concepts.

Hopefully a good "future" lies in this man.......

No comments: